February 17, 2016

KonMari Method - Books

Hello, hello!

Now that I've officially finished all of the clothing categories, I can move on to books.  I haven't kept too many books over the years and having bought a Kindle has really helped with not stockpiling too many books.

I have been a bit conflicted at the idea of getting rid of what 'few' books I have, though, because the majority of them I've arranged artfully in my bookcase as a means of interior decor.  In considering how I felt about this, I decided that if I was going to let go books that didn't bring me joy, then I should use the freed up bookcase space for something that does bring me joy - such as quilting fabric.  Then the decision on how to approach the books was immensely easier!

All my books.

The hardest items in this category were my Piers Anthony books.  As a teenager, I was a huge Piers Anthony fan.  In fact, I bought nearly everything he wrote.  Most of the collection is still in Canada but I did bring a few series to Sweden, including his Incarnations of Immortality, Apprentice Adept and Mode series.  While I haven't read these books in many years, holding them in my hands brought back fond memories of those times.  In the end, I decided that I would keep the Incarnations and Adept series and I'm passing along the Mode series to a friend who requested my Nora Roberts and Nemi books/comics.  As KonMari herself says, if it brings you joy, keep it with confidence and that's what I've decided to do.

Joyful books.

And here is my much smaller stack of books.  One quilting book, a few recipe books, my Harry Potter and 2/3 of the Piers Anthony books and some ElfQuest books.  I thought over the ElfQuest books for a while, too.  They were a large part of my life growing up and during my young adult years but that chapter of my life has closed a long time ago and I'm content with that.  But at least for now, I'm content to keep and appreciate these books.

Tidy bookcase.

And here is the tidy bookcase.  I decided I would take the National Geographic magazines into work to use with my students.  I should probably let go of the crafting magazines but I'm not quite ready for that yet and I decided to put all of those heavy-feeling magazine holders down on the bottom, making each shelf above a little lighter feeling.  I also moved the fabric down a shelf so there is room to put more fabric when the time comes.  Oh, and I moved my recipe books out here because they just weren't in an easily accessible location in my kitchen so I'm hoping having them out here will help with seeing and using them more frequently.

I also decided to use the old rucksacks and overnight bags I had decided to donate from last week's tidying to put the donation books into and take down to the second-hand shop in small, more easily-managed groupings.  For the sake of the count below, however, I've grouped all of these smaller bags as equivalent to one large rubbish bag.

Total donation/rubbish bags to date: 4
Total attic boxes emptied: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment