July 22, 2015

WIP Wednesday

Welcome back!

Last year I joined in Material Girl's layer cake quilt-along project, featuring HST blocks.  I really enjoyed working on this project - two blocks were released a week for ten weeks and surprisingly, I managed to keep pace.  Then I came to the sashing and promptly ran out of Kona white.  A trip to the quilt shop for more white and I discovered while cutting the new sashing strips that it was not Kona white that I'd purchased.  Sigh.

Suffice it to say, I got busy, life happened and this project has since sat on my sewing table for a year.

More Kona white purchased and a dose of enthusiasm later, and I'm pleased to show off a freshly sashed quilt top:


I'm so happy with how this is turning out so far.  The sashing went together well and now I need to start deciding on borders and binding.  I intend to do scrappy binding, which I love the look of but for the borders, only a few of the fabrics I used are larger than FQs so I'll have to choose from among them.  I have a good chunk of the turquoise from the first block in row two (left side) and a really large chunk of the buttery yellow from the last block in row four (right side) so those are the most likely choices.

Detail shot of the pieced blocks:


And for good measure, one more shot from dead on at the foot of the bed:


Linking up to Freshly Pieced:

http://www.freshlypieced.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment