July 18, 2015

Playing with Fabric

Question: So what's a girl to do when she can't sew?

Answer: Play with fabric!

As I've been working on recent projects, I've decided that my fabric storage needs a serious overhaul.  I mean, serious.  Truth be told, I have fabric in piles throughout various areas of the flat but the majority of it is stashed away in my under-bed storage unit, which is a pain to haul out and things get lost and forgotten in there.  And I know from having re-organised my scrapbooking supplies, if I can see it, I'm more likely to use it.

So, I got to work and look at the prettiness now: MINI BOLTS!


Aren't they gorgeous?!  I just want to sit there and stroke them, they're so pretty like this.

For the bolts, I cut up a stash of old cereal boxes I'd been saving for templates.  The front and back panels measure 7.5" by 11", which is a perfect size for wrapping your typical single metre or so of fabric.

Then there's the question of how to anchor the ends.  Pins, rubber bands, masking tape, paper clips?  I started out with some spare pins but when I ran out of them, I came up with an even better solution, which I think I will ultimately switch to using instead: foldable bulldog clips!  I really like this option because they're sturdy and won't easily slip off the bolted fabric, plus they won't mark the fabric, damage the bolt inside or be harmful to Greta (cat) if she finds one laying around.  Oh, and let's not forget, I won't accidentally stab myself with them, either - always a bonus.


Now I can't wait to finish another box of cereal so I can continue to add to my mini bolt collection.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment