August 07, 2013

Box Time Fun

So it's suppose to be WIP Wednesday today but I'm pleased to say that after a week or more of doing nothing creative (or nothing of anything, really), I actually have a completed project to share with you.  Hurrah!


If you've been following Shimelle's blog recently, you'll know that she's been on a real vertical design kick and has a number of fun challenges and sketches up and that combination is what helped to get me going on this LO.  I wanted to have a go at this sketch and remembered I had these cool Instagram photos of Oskar.  I also realised it was the perfect opportunity to use this CP kraft chevron paper - like many scrappers, I bought it based on the preview photo that uses the white-based paper from the paper pad collection and was horribly disappointed with how dark it is once I had it in hand.  I remembered wondering how/when I would ever use this paper that I didn't really like but it works perfectly for a story about boxes and now, I actually love it!  Okay, love might be a bit too much but I really like how it works here.


The patterned papers are Plum Seed by Webster's Pages, a collection that was carried (although not in full) at the local Panduro a few months ago and I challenged myself to buy and use these papers.  I haven't cut into them much so again, I was pleased to be able to use them more and I love how they not only work so well with the kraft but they perfectly compliment the slightly over-exposed, muted colours and undertones from the photos.


For my embellishment clusters I used some lime green accents.  My mum calls injecting this sort of 'odd' colour into a palette 'the poison' - there's something just slightly jarring about it that actually works to pull the whole piece together.  Later I realised the lime green matches that of Oskar's eyes, something that my brain must have recognised on a sub-conscious level.  Serendipity again - love it.


I also realised after completing the LO that I used the chevron paper 'up-side-down' from how I would normally use it to help draw in the viewer's eye.  Meaning, the points are leading up rather than down.  Whoops.  Nothing I can do about that now but I think it still works.  I also used one of the Jilliebean Soup wise word stickers and some black enamel dots that I received as a recent Stash Busters prize.

8 comments:

  1. This is so pretty and striking! You have such a sweet kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh,the poison is really working! I love that little green camera, and the green label as well! Great layout!Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful page! Love your little clusters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice, such a cute kitty too! That teal pp shows him off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great layout, love the large chevron paper and embellies :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color combinations. This is an exceptional layout. Meow...I love kitty-kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great layout, love the pops of poison and so glad The Pier paper worked out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beuatiful photos and wonderful design of the page!

    ReplyDelete