July 29, 2013

Keukenhof Snapshots

So last week I was following CHA-S quite closely through manufacturer blogs and 2Peas but I didn't have much inspiration for anything new to scrap, even though I wanting to get in on some of the 2Peas CHA challenge action.  Thankfully, my friend Anya came down to visit for the weekend and we enjoyed some crop time together and that really helped to inspire me into working on a new page, with the bonus of being able to catch up with a good friend I've not seen much in the last year - thanks, Anya!

So I decided to finally start scrapping some of my Amsterdam holiday photos from 2011.  I spent an entire day at Keukenhof gardens and have probably close to 100 flower/garden photos and let's face it, it's pretty darn difficult to not find beautiful flowers inspiring (or at least, for me).  So here's my finished page:


I started by pulling out my absolute favourite flower photos, looking for a selection of different types, shapes and colours.  That narrowed things down to 24 photos, which I thought was fairly impressive on its own.  Later I paired this down further to 12 photos.


I decided that using Polaroid-style frames would be the best way of featuring so many photos on a page so I got to work hand-cutting scraps of white cardstock.  Since I wanted the photos to remain the focus point, I chose to use a tone-on-tone design.  I used a black fine-liner pen to doodle around the frames and then found a distressed patterned paper sheet that also had a doodled frame around it for the background - perfect!


My original thought was to use a grid layout, perhaps titled and with the photos staggered to give it some movement and energy on the page.  Then I decided it would be cute to have the photos hanging from little washing lines instead and found some natural fibre twine that would fit well with the nature-theme and tone-on-tone design.  I also used some natural wooden mini clothes pegs to highlight my favourite photo of the bunch and I also clipped one onto my journaling card.  The rest of the photos I attached to the line using washi tapes.


I'm always very good when I go on holiday about keeping memorabilia but I'm less good about organising and storing it once I get home.  I had all of my Amsterdam bits and bobs in a plastic bag (and knew where to find it - bonus!) but I often get so into making a travel layout that I forget to check the bag and pull out material to plan into the page until too far into the design process.  But not this time - I got into that bag and pulled out my e-ticket, Keukenhof business card and train ticket to the gardens and decided I would work them and the journaling card into the design using a glassine bag, which would also help to cover up a motif on the background paper that didn't fit the page and I layered all of that under the last photo.


Again, because I wanted to keep the photos as the focus, I used basic black Thickers and letter stickers for my title and I stamped in a grey that wouldn't be over-powering on the page.  I also kept my embellishments minimal (although Anya teased me that she would have stopped *ages* ago - ha!).  I was also quite pleased with myself that I managed to work in the magenta coloured vellum stickers from the Yes, Please sticker sheet - I love how virtually any colour will work with most flowers.

I cleaned up quite well on the challenge prompts with just this one layout (totally impressed myself):
  • Stash Busters - use scraps (white cardstock for frames)
  • 2Peas - Glitter Girl (focus on photos)
  • 2Peas - Scrap Your Stash (use frames)
  • CHA 3 Pieces of Memorabilia (tickets x2, business card)
  • CHA 4 Elements of Nature (flowers, birds, butterflies, ladybird)
  • CHA 5 Senses (journaled about sight and scent)
  • CHA 10 photos (used 12)
Weekend crop results - Anya with her finished page and my nearly-finished page:


Such fun!  I'm very much looking forward to when she moves back closer, hopefully in the next few months, and we can do these things more often.

15 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS design! I love how you got so many photo's on there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful design and photos. Great idea with the washi tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always fun to have a friend to scrap with! Beautiful page. Love all of those gorgeous photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Keukenhof is very close to me, but I've never been there LOL Doesn't that always happen with touristic spots that are close to you? ;-)
    Love the design with the many photos, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...your flower pics are gorgeous! Stringing them up with the polaroid frames was a wonderful way to scrap them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful layout and a nice reward to scrappy time with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving that polaroid frame in action, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty, I know what you mean about having a ton of snapshots, it's a challenge..I have the same problem with pictures from Monet's garden..I loved how you worked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the polaroid idea. I will have to try that! I have the SC polaroid stamp that I have not put to use yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a GREAT layout!!! I also love scrapping photos of flowers and love this idea! Impressed by your hard work handcutting the frames!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both layouts are beautiful.
    I love your layout with the Polaroid frames and the washi tape. The photos just pop off the page.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous layout! I'm fond of those black thickets too :)

    ReplyDelete