July 16, 2013

Are You Ready for Adventure?

So last year my Granny came to visit me in Sweden.  It was a pretty big deal, considering she was 82-years-old and the first member of my family to visit me in the 10 years I've lived here.  Needless to say, I documented every day we spent together and then worked my butt off creating identical albums for the both of us to remember this special time together (I gave her her copy as a Christmas gift - she loved it).

Anyway, having taken Shimelle's Cover to Cover class (which I highly recommend, btw), I've been keenly aware that I needed a page to link my annual 2012 and my Our Story: Sweden 2012 albums together.  Without this link, I have a huge gap in my annual album, which is obviously not representative of reality.  I just hadn't figured out how to make the link, since I didn't want to re-create another identical page as the first page in my upgrade album to live in my annual album.

Then I remembered that I had a second shot of that same photo already printed and that I'd pre-pulled the fabulous map print from Allison Kreft's Composition & Colour series and Amy Tan's text border stripe from Yes, Please - the beautiful pastel colours work wonderfully together so I got down to work yesterday and came up with this:


Initially I had intended to use an OA Cakewalk teal/green grid print for the background but then I spied this adorable Little Yellow Bicycle cloud print that I've always adored (and bought like 4 pages because I loved it so much) and I knew I had to use it.  I love how the combination of sky/cloud and rotated map print gives the impression of looking down while flying, which I thought was rather fitting for the topic of flying overseas.  In fact, I had originally planned for the map square to be straight but when I saw it askew on my work table, I loved how much more interesting the page became.  I was also very happy to finally use this chevron arrow transparency, also by Allison Kreft - I bought it a few months ago and every time until now that I've tried to use it, it just disappears in the busy patterns/colours of the paper I've tested it on.


I'm also making a conscious effort to start using my BG Knee Highs & Bow Ties chipboard pieces and I broke into my new MME word stickers for the title.  You can't see it here but on the opposite side I needed the word 'for', so I had to cut it out of a phrase but it works well regardless.  I was also pleased to have another opportunity to use these green flocked Thickers - they were sent to me as a free gift from a magazine and to be honest, I really dislike them.  Green is my least favourite colour so they don't get used much but I like how they work in this design so bonus points, indeed!


One more detail shot to leave you with for today.

10 comments:

  1. This is so pretty. Love the softness and little details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again! Thanks for the comment over at my blog! You are so sweet! I didn't see, when I read your last post, that you live in Sweden!! Kul! I really love your layout above and it is such a wonderful project to do for you and your grandmother. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful page! I love the map print over the cloud print. It's such a pretty color combo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful layout!! I LOVE your use of pattern paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful page, and I love the papers you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely page! I really like the link idea. Love your details, esp. the stitching! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I appreciate your thoughts!!! xo, Evie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty layout! Love how you used the map print with the cloud paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This page is so beautiful (and meaningful) and the colors are just gorgeous ! Love the patterns you chose. I love that you told your process for making your page, very interesting !

    ReplyDelete